L293D IC is a bidirectional motor driver IC that can drive a DC motor to rotate or run in either direction. This IC can drive 2 motors simultaneously in either direction by 1 IC. It is also known as Dual H-bridge Motor Driver IC. The reason that the L293D driver IC is mostly used is it can drive any time of the motor, like big as well as small.
The IC basically works as a current amplifier as they take a low-current control signal and provide a higher-current signal. The higher current signal is used to drive the motors.
L293D is designed to provide bidirectional drive currents of up to 600mA at voltages from 4.5V to 36V. This IC is capable of driving inductive loads such as relays, solenoid, DC, and bipolar stepping motor, as well as other high-current/high-voltage in positive supply applications.
- Can drive 2 DC motors simultaneously in either direction
- Wide voltage supply range: 4.5V to 36V
- Separate input-logic supply
- Internal ESD protection
- High-noise-immunity inputs
- Thermal shutdown
- Output clamp diodes for inductive transient suppression
- Motor voltage supply range (Vs): 4.5V to 36V
- Input voltage (Vss): 4.5V to 7V
- Maximum continuous motor current: 600mA
- Maximum peak motor current: 1.2A
- Transition time: 300ns
- Operating temperature range: 0℃ to 70℃